High Tension Stretch Film Wrapping Applications:
High tension stretch wrapping is very difficult to achieve. The more tension applied to stretch film, the more often breaks. Thus pallet loads requiring high film force are a packaging problem. It is difficult to achieve and costly to produce. A large manufacturer of flooring and underlay products tended to shift during transit. They required their pallet loads to have very high tension containment to ensure safe shipping.
For years this customer used the following process to package their product:
- 4 corner boards 44″ long applied to the top of the load to eliminate strapping damage.
- Pallet brought to a poly-bander machine.
- Six straps applied in both directions tied the product to the pallet.
- The pallet then brought to the stretch wrapper.
- Multiple layers of film applied until achieving the required film tension.
Over the years they tried less expensive solutions. All failed to provide the load containment necessary. So the customer has been searching for solutions to these issues. The goals for this project included:
- Reduce the material handling required to contain the pallet load for shipping.
- Improve the time required for packaging of the pallet loads
- Limit the use of V-boards.
- Minimize the excessive amount of strapping required load containment.
However, the resulting solution needed to meet or exceed the high tension load containment that the existing process provided.
Phoenix Wrappers High Tension Stretch Wrapping Solution:
Stretch packaging specialist D.J Friend of Master Packaging introduced the customer to Phoenix’s patent-pending High Tension Dual Film system. This film carriage creates the highest tension stretch in the industry. The carriage has the capacity for 2 separate rolls of stretch film. The films are overlapped and offset, resulting in wider coverage and adjustability. The stretch film edges are roped creating four horizontal ropes along the film web. Ropes prevent the film breaking during high tension wrapping. The resulting webs are then combined and are fed through the prestretch system. The resulting bonded stretch film web has many properties that a std stretch film lacks.
Features Of The High Tension Dual Film System:
- A bonding of 2 layers of film which makes them tougher and actually act as one becoming nearly unbreakable.
- Extremely high tension film force and load retention is possible where standard stretch film can’t.
- Re-enforcing ropes prevent any potential film tear from propagating into a complete film break. This reduces downtime.
- Load containment takes less time and revolutions than conventional stretch film carriages. thus resulting in time savings.
- Stretch film thicknesses (or film gauge) of each roll can be reduced dramatically. Thus, less stretch film usage with better load integrity.
The flexibility of this design allows the use of 2×30” rolls of stretch film, or 2×20” rolls. A combination of 20″ and 30″ is also possible. The amount of rope created is adjustable. More rope results in a more break-proof film. It also changes the overall height of the film web. This adjustment allows for the highest stretch film tension levels possible, furthermore, load containment is produced at the lowest cost per load.
Successful Results Using High Tension Dual Film System:
The Phoenix wrappers solution has resulted in savings across the board. The client has reported they have eliminated the poly strapping process. Pallets go directly to the stretch wrapper, where one strap is applied to the pallet manually. This compares to 6 straps previously. Two small sections of v-board are used, compared to 4 full-length boards previously. The savings in strapping and v-board are substantial. The annual consumable savings are more than $76,000. That is $76,000 in saving every year!
Efficiencies of the new process also creates labor savings. An operator was freed up by eliminating the strapping and material handling processes. This increases total packaging material savings. The total annual savings reported by the client being approximately $115,000. As a result, production throughput increased due to these time savings. Saving time, money, and manpower means this Phoenix Wrappers solution was a clear winner.
Here are more interesting articles that may be of interest to you.
Watch more videos on our Youtube channel. Phoenix Youtube
Do you have an application that you would like us to look at? Please give us a call. 1-833-490-9727 or contact us.
For more information about this or other applications, please visit our website.